• Bishop sees pork lasting the rest of Aquino’s term

    4

    An official of the Catholic Church doubts the pork barrel controversy will be resolved under the administration of President Benigno Aquino 3rd.

    “The incumbent administration only has three years remaining in its term, I am not sure if they can do it…But I am 100 percent certain that this issue of the pork barrel will not be resolved three years from now.

    That is 100 percent sure. What happens then, we have to wait and see,” retired Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz said.

    Cruz said the next president must work hard to continue fighting corruption until all the guilty are imprisoned.

    The prelate also challenged the government to return whatever money was stolen in the pork barrel scheme to the government coffers.

    “The quest for truth and justice has already started, but the end is still far from reach. I am hoping that this would end not just by sending those who will be proven guilty to jail, but to also return the money stolen from the people,” he disclosed.

    On Friday, thousands of anti-pork rallyists gathered at the Ayala Triangle in Makati City in a second Million People March.

    More protests are being planned to keep up the clamor for the abolition of the legislative Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) and similar discretionary funds.

    On October 25, religious groups will march to demand the scrapping of the controversy-tainted PDAF.

    Jesus Is Lord (JIL) founder Bro. Eddie Villanueva described the October
    25 event as a “Jericho March.”

    “Tell the message to all, it is high time for us to join together and continue the crusade against all evils of corruption,” Villanueva said.

    He said he expects more than one million people from different religious group to take part.

    The JIL leader also demanded transparency and accountability in the release of government funds.

    He said corruption “in all forms is the major cause of the chronic poverty of the people”.

    Reacting to the plunder case filed against President Benigno Aquino 3rd last week, Villanueva said the President “deserves a chance to show his statesmanship in responding to the clamor of the people”.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    4 Comments

    1. the aquino administration is truly right on its decision not to be bothered by the criticisms, speculations, comments and opinions of mr. oscar cruz, in other words…dedma lang…

    2. This rally should be supported by all sect of religions (Catholics, Iglesia ni Cristo, JIl,
      Protestants, Aglipayans, Assembly of God, Watch Tower Society, and others.

      If the Churches will unite and fill the Luneta Park to demand the resignations of
      those government officials who misuse the money of the people, only then we
      can expect result. The President should lead the way – others will surely follow to
      walk the way of “Tuwid na daan” . Then and only then, we can say “kung walang
      corrupt walang mahirap”.

      • Reynaldo Vicario on

        Eddie Villanueva should start from his Son Joel Villanueva kung magkano nabulsa niya sa PDAF at isauli sa gobyerno at ipakulong dahil sa pagwaldas ng perang bayan ng anak nya.

    3. Any public pronouncement by the churches must be confined to the pulpit and inside churches since they don’t pay taxes. Public expressions is something that is exclusive to taxpayers. There was once a cal against tax without representation; inversely there must be no representation without tax. Voluntary tax payments by the churches will not be a bad idea. Big churches are all rich – stockholders to big corporation.