Brazil studies appeal against Neymar ban

0
Neymar AFP PHOTO

Neymar AFP PHOTO

SANTIAGO: Brazilian lawyers are considering whether to appeal against Neymar’s four-match ban that has ruled the Selecao’s captain out of the rest of the Copa America, coach Dunga said on Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

Advertisements

The Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) reaffirmed their claims that the 23-year-old superstar, banned for head butting a Colombian opponent, has been unfairly hunted at the tournament.

But Brazil, still recovering from its World Cup disaster last year, has been stunned by the punishment against their key player and the CBF is looking for ways to appeal.

“CBF legal experts will respond to all the action taken against Neymar,” Dunga told a press conference on the eve of Brazil’s final Group C game against Venezuela on Sunday.

CBF legal director Carlos Eugenio Lopes said: “The decision was not normal.”

“We don’t want anything in our favor, we don’t want anything against us, we just want it to be balanced. There should just be an equal judgement for everyone in the tournament,” Dunga added, acknowledging that Brazil’s latest football icon would be sorely missed.

Neymar was given a provisional one-match suspension after collecting his second yellow at the end of the 1-0 defeat by Colombia on Wednesday.

The South American confederation, Conmebol, increased the ban to four matches because of his behavior after the red card when he argued with the referee and match officials as he left the pitch.

Group C is finely balanced with Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela all level on one win and one defeat so far.

“Neymar is a football personality and the punishment was very big. Of course we all love football and we want to see him on the pitch, not just Neymar but (Alexis) Sanchez, (Lionel) Messi, (Angel) di Maria,” Dunga said.

AFP

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.