Despite mixed reactions over his use of “artsy” camera angles during the first State of the Nation Address of then newly elected President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, internationally acclaimed director Brillante Mendoza will be in charge of July 24’s much awaited report from the Chief Executive all over again.
The announcement was first made by Communications Secretary Martin Andanar on AM radio station dzMM over the weekend, where he revealed that the director had expressed his intentions to do so himself.
“Si director Brillante Mendoza ang muling magdi-direct nito dahil nagpahiwatig naman siya ng interest,” Andanar stated.
The secretary was also confident that the Cannes-winning director would make “adjustments” from July 2016’s SONA coverage.
“The director will also adjust some of his shots because alam ko [I know], some of his shots were criticized last year,” Andanar noted.
On Tuesday, over dZMM’s new program “Wow Trending,” which lists the Top 10 trending topics on social media for the day, Brillante Mendoza’s return to Batasang Pambansa figured on the No. 3 spot, with the show’s anchor reporting additional details.
According to Rica Lazo, Mendoza had said his direction will make sure that the President will be the main focus of the SONA, and will therefore have none of the varying camera angles from the previous hear, which had shots of Mr. Duterte from different sides, even zooming in on his hands. Her report also said that clips or photographs that will be shown throughout the speech will be presented in black and white.
The Manila Times has sent a message to Mendoza asking him his reasons for taking on the task anew despite the first SONA’s criticism, but his reply is still pending as of press time.