• Brillantes distances self from ‘erroneous’ Supreme Court TRO

    0

    The head of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Friday refused to be embroiled in the controversy stirred up by the “erroneous” temporary restraining order (TRO) from the Supreme Court that stopped the poll body from proclaiming the last batch of winning party-list groups.

    Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.  said the Comelec will distance itself from the issue but will heed instead the official ruling from the High Court.

    “We cannot interfere what is happening inside the Supreme Court,” Brillantes said.

    On Thursday, reports surfaced that Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno was criticized by her fellow magistrates for issuing the TRO, saying she never consulted them before issuing the order.

    JOHANNA M. SAMPAN

    The justices who spoke with The Manila Times said they will question the TRO when the en banc session resumes on June 4.

    They said Sereno tampered with the original draft of Associate Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro, the ponente. The draft limits the TRO to the granting of relief to the petitioner, the Coalition of Associations of Senior Citizens in the Philippines, which was disqualified by the Comelec.

    In the three-page resolution Sereno issued on May 29, the court ordered the Comelec not to proclaim the remaining party-list groups vying for the remaining five slots in Congress.
    The Comelec, sitting as the National Board of Canvassers (NBoC), immediately complied with the TRO but continued canvassing the remaining votes.The commission had already proclaimed 38 party-list groups, entitling them to 53 seats in the incoming 16th Congress.

    Johanna M. Sampan

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.