The Commission on Elections (Comelec) chief on Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court’s decision upholding the constitutionality of their partnership with the Department of Justice (DOJ), which had resulted to the filing of electoral sabotage case against former president and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga province.
Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said they were not expecting to lose since they believe that there are enough legal grounds to pursue the case with the DOJ.
“We were not expecting to lose anyway since it is just a motion for reconsideration and we have already won before,” the poll chief said.
The Comelec head also said they are now preparing to bring out all witnesses and present evidences against the people who were involved in the controversy.
“We will be more persistent now but ever since, we have not stopped prosecuting GMA and (former Comelec) chairman (Benjamin) Abalos,” Brillantes explained.
“This is why it’s taking us a long time because we are presenting all available evidences we have,” he furthered.
On Tuesday, the High Court junked the appeal of Arroyo in connection with the electoral sabotage case lodged against her and declared the legality of the creation of the joint DOJ-Comelec panel.
The High Court dismissed the motion for reconsideration filed by Arroyo, through her legal counsel Benjamin Santos, that the case be reviewed again and returned to DOJ for preliminary investigation.
Voting 13-2, the tribunal ruled that the appeal must be junked since criminal charges have been filed against Arroyo before the Pasay City Regional Trial Court and she had been arraigned.
The SC affirmed its September 2012 ruling that Arroyo has already pleaded her case by entering a “not guilty plea”.
Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta wrote the decision.