Browns cut Johnny Manziel

0
Johnny Manziel AFP PHOTO

Johnny Manziel AFP PHOTO

LOS ANGELES: The Cleveland Browns on Friday (Saturday in Manila) cut quarterback Johnny Manziel, releasing the troubled signal-caller after making just eight starts in two seasons.

Advertisements

Manziel, 23, a former college star, was cut following a series of lurid headlines about his off-field conduct in recent months.

Last month a police report released in Dallas said he had repeatedly struck an ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley during a fight at a Dallas hotel.

In October, Manziel faced scrutiny but escaped league discipline after he was seen driving recklessly on an Ohio freeway. Crowley later said she had been assaulted during the incident.

Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner, was dropped as the Browns starter in November after he was caught on video drinking champagne in a party atmosphere during the team’s regular-season bye week.

The incident came after Manziel spent three months in a voluntary rehabilitation facility last year.

In a statement reacting to the Browns decision, Manziel thanked the team for signing him two years ago.

“I’d like to thank the Browns for the opportunity they gave me – nearly two years ago, we all hoped that we were building what would be a championship team for Cleveland,” Manziel said.

“I will always remember the support I received from the organization, my teammates and especially the fans.”

Cleveland, who finished bottom of the AFC North last season with a 3-13 record, are reportedly eyeing San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick as a possible replacement for Manziel.

AFP

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.