KIDAPAWAN CITY: Police in Maramag, Bukidnon are conducting post blast investigation on a bus bombing Tuesday afternoon that left at least nine passengers dead and more than 15 others wounded, police said.
A manhunt is now ongoing against the suspects who were captured by a CCTV camera in Poblacion Maramag where the bus left before proceeding to Valencia City from Wao, Lanao del Sur, according to Police Inspector Jeselle Longakit, Bukidnon police spokesperson.
Longakit told Church-run Radio DXDB in Malaybalay City that the blast occurred at the rear part of Rural Bus at past 5 p.m.
Longakit said the explosion, believed to be from an improvised bomb with mobile phone as trigger mechanism, occurred while the bus was in transit in front of Central Mindanao University main entrance in Barangay Musoan, Maramag, Bukidnon.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb attack that occurred more than a month after another bus of the same company was subjected to IED attack that left four persons wounded.
Longakit said most of the passengers were heading home from a fiesta celebration in nearby Wao town in Lanao del Sur.
The bus firm had been receiving extortion letters from lawless elements asking protection money.
Longakit said the wounded were rushed to hospitals in Valencia City and Poblacion Maramag. PNA