• Cash for MILF fighters

    21

    Decommissioned rebels to get other benefits.

    Malacañang on Sunday said cash and other benefits will be awarded to Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) fighters who will undergo “decommissioning” beginning Tuesday.

    According to Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr., President Benigno Aquino 3rd will lead the historic turnover of firearms and the decommissioning of more than a hundred MILF combatants, the initial phase of a normalization process under a peace agreement forged with the erstwhile rebel group.

    The firearms, Coloma said, will be turned over to the Independent Decommissioning Body as provided under the Annex on Normalization signed in January last year.

    “President Aquino will witness the first part of the decommissioning process that is considered to be one of the strongest gestures of support and commitment by the MILF to the peace process to bring forth peace and development in areas covered by the Bangsamoro,” Coloma explained in an interview over state-run Radyo ng Bayan.

    The MILF combatants will undergo registration and will be provided with cash assistance and PhilHealth cards.

    Other medium-to-long-term aids like livelihood projects will be administered by the Task Force on Decommissioned Combatants and Communities, Coloma said.

    The normalization process has three phases: security, socioeconomic development and transitional justice and reconciliation.

    Earlier, government chief peace negotiator Miriam Coronel-Ferrer said the peace panel had sent out invitations for the ceremonial decommissioning of MILF weapons to everyone involved in the peace process, especially members of Congress.

    “Although it’s a ceremonial program, it signals something that took a long time to prepare both the hearts and minds of the people who are involved in this process,” she added.

    The decommissioning of 75 weapons and of 145 Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF) is part of the normalization program under the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB).

    Ferrer said Phase 1 of the decommissioning process important because the 145 MILF combatants who have agreed to be part of the initial stage will serve as pioneers and help gauge the success rate of the normalization process.

    MILF chief negotiator Mohagher Iqbal had given assurances that even if the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is delayed, they will comply with the initial phase of the graduated decommissioning of MILF forces and their weapons.

    “We will see to it that we will comply with our obligations. We have to undertake this whether the BBL is moving in Congress or not,” Iqbal said. “Honestly, there’s no other way but to have peace in Mindanao.”

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    21 Comments

    1. Those were bribe money given to them they should give up without any compensation and giving them self rule is only the first step eventually they will declare independent in the future.

    2. Baliw na talaga tung si Boy sisi, decommissioning 75 weapon at babayaran ng 25k each weapon eh di bibili lang ng mas malakas at bagong weapon yang mga baliw na MILF. sana pag turn over ng mga baril, may bumaligtad na MILF at pagbabarilin ang mga official ng PH government kasama si Boy sisi mas matutuwa ang sambayanan Pilipinas.

    3. cesario malayao on

      In the earlier news, sinabe na yung magsu-surender ng armas will be automatically absorbed to “their arm forces”. How true is that? That means they will be provided with new firearms?

    4. lerma jacinto on

      Reports said that there are more than 1,000 MILF fully armed combatants. The decommisioning of only 75 firearms (most probably the oldest and rarely functional ones) and ‘paying’ them off is another scam that PNoy gov’t. will enter into.

    5. Ang sarap naman maging terorista. Biro mo, magsasauli ka lang ng lumang armas, pagkatapos mong pumatay ng mga pulis, sundalo at inosenteng sibilyan, may pabaong cash pa

      Grabeng sarap naman

    6. Elias Gonzales on

      This show is to appease the Filipino public. Its more believable if their weapons and ammo factories will be verifiably decommissioned, disabled or destroyed. Certainly, an agreement MILF doesn’t want to.

    7. For all you know, the firearms to be surrendered are the same ammunitions taken from the SAF 44 and other gunfights which they have collected over the last decades. Stupid Government!

    8. 75 weapons… hahaha that’s a lot. Most likely non-functional ones which have been already rusting away. The cash could procure them with better ones.

      • tagazamboanga on

        hahaha!! i bet you are from mindanao…you just made my day…yes your comment is 100% correct…

    9. Isusuko ng MILF ang pinakaluma at pinakabulok nilang armas at bibigyan ng pera ng lintik na gobyernong ito ang mga MILF na magsusuko ng mga pinakaluma at pinakabulok nilang armas para ipambili ng makabagong armas na ipampapatay sa mga sundalo at nananahimik na mamamayang Pilipino. Anong tingin nyo sa ganitong uri ng katangahan?

    10. 175 BIAF – 75 arms=70,anong armas noong 70 tirador,another moro-moro by coward P-NOY,youre BBL will never pass because it will bring in more trouble than peace.It will be only youre friend the terrorist MILF will benefit on this devilish BBLSill no justice for the fallen 44 after P-NOY betrayed and abandoned them to protect his friend the terrorist MILF.You should be arrested for treason selling out part of the country to Malaysia

    11. Aquino is a disgrace to the Filipino people. The Commander and Chief of the Philippines is giving money to terrorist that used these weapons to kill his countrymen. What a disgrace. I thought Obama was a disgrace for trading for Berdahl, Apparently Aquino is trying to one up the American President.

    12. Lord Chimera on

      Do I need to point out that the obvious flaw in this whole exercise is that the rebels can just buy more and better weapons with the money given to them for surrendering their old weapons. Its basically a stupid move, but then again that what BSA is..stupid.

    13. apolonio reyes on

      First why will our government pay or give cash incentives to MILF rebels who surrender their fire-arms to an independent body when those retired AFP soldiers and PNP policemen could not even get the pension benefits?
      Why will Pnoy himself attend this decommissioning when he did not even attended the Honor Arrival of our 44 SAF HEROES who lost their lives because of their Commander-in-Chief inefficiency?
      Sikwatary eh Sec. H, Coloma, please explain to us WHY?

    14. This is a propaganda effort to show that the MILF is sincere in disarming. The problem is that they are not disarming, just putting on a show.

    15. Where does our President get his advice.Is these how you give justice to those killed by these rebel group? This is a pile of horse manure coming from Malacanang.Tax payers should not let these people get the money they do not deserve.Aquino will do everything to win the hearts of these MILF group.He will do everything to release money to that region before his term is finished and that makes him the most dangerous person of the state.

    16. Exactly like what happened during the Corazon Aquino years when all arms were supposed to be surrendered and paid for by the government but was never a success because the rebels had more arms. They simply received tdhe money and pretended to be all for peace but later went back to the mountains.

    17. I Remember... on

      “75 weapons and of 145 Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces”

      hahahaha… how can Manila Times let this article run??? 75 weapons!!!??? Ridiculeous…

      and what about the weapons of the fallen 44? where are they?

    18. Mario Escobido on

      tatanggalan ng baril pero bibigyan ng pera na pwede ring ipambili ng baril. sira.