Cavite: The provincial government of Cavite has declared that the entire province is under a state of calamity because cases of more than 200-percent increase in cases of dengue.
Gov. Jonvic Remulla and the Provincial Board approved the declaration on September 18 with a budget of P12 million from the provincial calamity fund.
Dr. Nelson Soriano, provincial epidemiologist, and Dr. George Repique, Provincial Health Office (PHO) chief would be implementing a campaign against dengue.
Soriano told The Manila Times that 17 municipalities reported an increase in cases of dengue.
The top 5 places registering the most number of cases are the cities of Dasmariñas, Trece Martires, Imus, and Bacoor, and the municipality of General Trias.
In the latest update, the PHO reported 16 deaths out of 3,904 cases from Cavite’s seven districts from January to September of this year. There were 2,120 cases last year with only five deaths.
The Aedes aegypti mosquito that thrives in clean and stagnant water transmits the dengue virus. The symptoms of dengue fever include high fever, rash, muscle and joint pain. In severe cases, patients would manifest bleeding and shock that could lead to death.
Forty percent of those afflicted with dengue in Cavite province are children, one-year old and below of which are 54 percent males. The youngest case is one month old and the oldest is 83 years old, who are both confined at the General Emilio Aguinaldo Hospital in Trece Martires City.
Soriano said an anti-dengue vaccine is being developed but this is not yet commercially available.
“So (for now) what we do is implement fogging for three consecutive weeks in different places like Gen. Trias, Dasmarinas and Trece Martires. The chemical used here is called permitrin which kills mosquitoes and larvae,” he added.
The PHO appeals to the citizens to observe the Department of Health’s “4S Kontra Dengue” strategy, referring to Search and Destroy, Self-protection measures, Seek early consultation, and Say ‘no’ to indiscriminate fogging.