Officials of Cebu Pacific were grilled on Monday over the chaos that occurred at the airport because of delayed flights and lack of personnel to attend to the crush of passengers.
The airline was given until January next year to submit its explanation.
“The findings of this panel will be submitted to the respected boards of the agencies, Civil Aeronautics Board, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) and Manila International Airport Autority (MIAA) because all of these three agencies oversee the airline operations so the finding of this joint committee will be submitted for our respective board for evaluation and for regulations,” Civil Aeronautics Board Executive Director Carmelo Arcilla said after meeting with Cebu Pacific officials.
The Department of Transportation and Communication had earlier said that the investigation will determine if Cebu Pacific will be penalized.
In a statement, Cebu Pacific blamed the flight delays to air traffic congestion “compounded by [bad]weather in some regions.”
But MIAA General Manager Jose Angel Honrado said almost all Cebu Pacific planes were delayed and the airline had no sufficient personnel at their check-in counters. He maintained that air congestion was not the reason for the chaos.
“Counters pa lang nagkagulo na eh, first step pa lang yun. Wala naman kinalaman ang congestion doon,” he said.
He noted that on December 24, out of 142 flights, 100 were delayed. Arcilla also scolded the airline officials as he noted the problem of absenteeism among its personnel.