CEBU CITY: The Cebu Provincial Board (PB) has passed a resolution placing the whole province under a state of calamity to allow the provincial government to use its calamity funds to assist typhoon Ruby victims.
The provincial government still has some Php77 million in disaster funds for this year, the Cebu Provincial Budget Office said.
At least Php30 million of it is intended for disaster response and the rest is for disaster preparedness.
The Cebu PB earlier declared a state of calamity in southern Cebu which was hit by tropical depression Queenie last Nov. 27, causing some Php230 million in damage to crops, livestock and infrastructure.
The resolution, sponsored by PB Members Peter John Calderon and Christopher Baricuatro, said despite the anticipation made by the local government, properties were not spared from the fury of the typhoon Ruby “particularly the northern part and islands.”
The Cebu Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) reported that 12 local government units (LGUs) in northern Cebu were badly hit by typhoon Ruby.
These were the same towns and city that bore the brunt of super typhoon Yolanda a year ago.
These are the towns of Tabogon, Daanbantayan, Medellin, San Remigio, Santa Fe, Madridejos, Bantayan, San Francisco, Poro, Tudela, Pilar and Bogo City.
The province has yet to come up with the damage estimates as rapid assessment is still ongoing.
Three people died at the height of the typhoon in Cebu, but their deaths were not directly linked to the typhoon.
Jimmy Cardente, 14, was electrocuted in Malabuyoc town; Felipe Baring, 60, died of hypothermia in Bogo City; and an elderly woman named Virfinia Solitario, of Barangay Sulangan, Bantayan town, who had been suffering from a heart ailment, allegedly died due to anxiety during the typhoon.
Cebu PDRRMO head Baltazar Tribunalo commended the LGUs in the province for having been proactive in preparations for Ruby.
He said the fatalities due to ‘Ruby’ were not “preparedness-related.” PNA