LONDON: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho continues to enjoy the club’s “full support” despite a disappointing start to the season, the Premier League champions declared on Monday (Tuesday in Manila).
“The club wants to make it clear that Jose continues to have our full support,” Chelsea said in a brief statement published on their website.
“As Jose has said himself, results have not been good enough and the team’s performances must improve. However, we believe that we have the right manager to turn this season around and that he has the squad with which to do it.”
Chelsea are currently two places above the Premier League relegation zone after losing four and winning only two of their first eight league games — their worst start to a season in 37 years.
Speaking after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at home to Southampton, Mourinho openly discussed the risk of dismissal, but said that he had no intention of walking away from the club.
“If the club wants to sack me, they have to sack me, because I am not running away,” he told Sky Sports in a candid post-match interview.
“It is a crucial moment in the history of this club because if the club sacks me, they sack the best manager this club has had and the message is bad results and the manager is guilty.
“This is a moment for people to assume their responsibilities. I assume my responsibility and the players should assume theirs too.
“There are other people at the club who should assume their responsibilities and stick together.”
Mourinho, 52, returned to Chelsea for a second spell in 2013, having previously led the west London club to two Premier League titles, two League Cups and one FA Cup between 2004 and 2007.
He masterminded a Premier League and League Cup double last season, but Chelsea have made a curiously flat start to the current campaign despite their title-winning squad remaining largely intact.
Chelsea’s statement came a day after Brendan Rodgers became the first managerial sacking of the season at Liverpool and Dick Advocaat stepped down from his role at Sunderland.
Chelsea captain John Terry had already given Mourinho his backing, telling the club website: “We have a big group of players and we have the best manager who we remain behind and we remain together.”
Meanwhile, the Football Association announced later on Monday that Mourinho had been charged with misconduct in relation to comments he made after the loss to Southampton.
“Jose Mourinho has been charged for misconduct in relation to media comments he made following Chelsea’s game against Southampton on Saturday 3 October 2015,” the FA said in a statement on its website.
“It is alleged his remarks constitute improper conduct in that they allege and/or imply bias on the part of a match official or match officials and/or bring the game into disrepute.”
Mourinho was aggrieved that Radamel Falcao was booked for diving after an incident involving Southampton goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg and said match officials were “afraid” to give his side decisions.
He has until 1700 GMT on Thursday to respond to the charge.