Civil registry office can correct error in date of birth

Persida Acosta

Persida Acosta

Dear PAO,
How can I correct the date of birth in my birth certificate which was erroneously entered as January 30, 1979 instead of January 20, 1979? I was born in Tagbilaran, Bohol but I am already residing in Angeles, Pampanga. Can I be exempted from paying the fees for the filing of the petition for correction?

Dear Linda,
The error in your date of birth may be corrected or changed administratively by the concerned civil registry office. According to Section 1 of Republic Act (R.A.) No. 10172, clerical or typographical errors and change of first name or nickname, the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person where it is patently clear that there was a clerical or typographical error or mistake in the entry, may be corrected or changed administratively by the concerned city or municipal civil registrar or consul general.

As a rule, your petition for correction of entry in your birth certificate shall be filed before the civil registry of Tagbilaran, Bohol where your birth certificate is registered. However, since you have already moved to Angeles, Pampanga, and it is no longer practical for you in terms of transportation expenses, time and effort to appear before the civil registry of your place of birth, you may just file your petition with the civil registry of Angeles, Pampanga where you are currently residing (Rule 4, Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA No. 10172). Your petition shall be supported with the following documents: 1) certified true machine copy of the certificate or of the page of the registry book containing the entry or entries sought to be corrected or changed; 2) at least two (2) public or private documents showing the correct entry or entries upon which the correction or change shall be based; and 3) other documents which the petitioner or the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the petition. Your petition shall also be accompanied by your earliest school record or earliest school documents such as, but not limited to, medical records, baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities. You shall also need to publish your petition at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation. Furthermore, you shall also submit a certification from the appropriate law enforcements, agencies that you have no pending case or no criminal record (Section 3, RA No. 10172).

Petitions for correction of the day and/or month in the date of birth of a person has a corresponding fee of three thousand pesos (P3,000.00). However, an indigent petitioner shall be exempt from paying the required payment, provided that his petition is supported by a certification from the City or Municipal Social Welfare Office that the petitioner or document owner is indigent  (Rule 10, Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA No. 10172).

We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts that you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to


Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. Dear PAO,

    I want to ask what is the requirements to legitimate my child birth certificate. He was born on March 6 2011 and he is using his fathers name even i am not married to his father that time. I just got married last year to his dad and im planning to apply his UK passport since his dad is a british citizen by birth. I went to Angeles City Hall of Pampanga to apply to legitimate his birth certificate is this right to ask me this requirements to bring a CENOMAR even i am married already and have the NSO marriage contract and she ask the legal capacity of my husband from the uk embassy. I dont understand why she still needs those documents even we are married and have the NSO MARRIAGE CONTRACT. As i read in NSO website for the requirements are only the NSO BIRTH CERTIFICATE ,MARRIAGE CONTRACT. Please i need of your advise. Thank you and more power.