• Clique bent on making Napoles state witness

    10
    Witnesses and whistleblowers discussed issues related to the pork barrel scam during the Balitaan sa Hotel Rembrandt forum hosted by Erick San Juan. From left are Carlo Batalla of Citizens Crime Watch, Melchor Magdamo and Argee Guevarra of Scrap Pork Movement, Sandra Cam and Joe Villegas, lead convenor of lawyer-volunteers to help in the prosecution of lawmakers involved in scam and RJ Javellana of WARM. Their consensus: Some powerful people are conspiring to protect Janet Lim Napoles.

    Witnesses and whistleblowers discussed issues related to the pork barrel scam during the Balitaan sa Hotel Rembrandt forum hosted by Erick San Juan. From left are Carlo Batalla of Citizens Crime Watch, Melchor Magdamo and Argee Guevarra of Scrap Pork Movement, Sandra Cam and Joe Villegas, lead convenor of lawyer-volunteers to help in the prosecution of lawmakers involved in scam and RJ Javellana of WARM. Their consensus: Some powerful people are conspiring to protect Janet Lim Napoles.

    DESPITE President Benigno Aquino 3rd’s opposition to making Janet Lim Napoles a state witness, a powerful clique within the administration appears bent on “using” the businesswoman to their political advantage.

    A reliable source said Napoles can be used to clear the names of administration party members who were dragged into the controversy.

    “Malacanang itself announced that it was waiting for the affidavit of Napoles. How come? There is strong suspicion that someone other than the President is manipulating everything,” a highly placed source privy to the case told The Manila Times.

    According to him, the “clique” is being led by a powerful official who dreams of becoming president in 2016. Already, the official’s tentacles have reached the Department of Justice (DOJ), where the witnesses in the P10-billion priority development assistance fund (Pdaf) or pork barrel scam are being secured.

    The source also claimed that the leader of the group is “moving on his own” and “without presidential imprimatur.”

    President Aquino had said Napoles cannot qualify as a state witness because she is not the least guilty. Lawyers for the witnesses said Napoles may not be the only mastermind in the scam but she is definitely a principal player, being the “corruptor” of public officials.

    “Even if she told the truth, that will not make her the least guilty,” The Times source said.

    Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad has also claimed that the camp of Napoles implicated him and other government officials in the pork barrel scam in an attempt to blackmail Malacanang to approve her request for immunity.

    On Sunday, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said there is no timetable for Napoles to submit her latest affidavit to the Justice department and the Senate, which issued a subpoena last week.

    “Secretary Leila de Lima has time and again clarified that all of these are in line with the search for truth and in accordance with the standards of justice,” Coloma added over state-run Radyo ng Bayan.

    The Palace official maintained that they treat the case with caution and all evidence that will be presented must stand in court.

    He said the DOJ and state prosecutors continue to take the lead in handling the case.

    Selective
    Sandra Cam, who heads a group of whistleblowers, bolstered suspicion that some government officials are manipulating the issue as she criticized de Lima for her alleged selective release of the names of those involved in the PDAF scam.

    At the weekly forum at the Balitaan sa Hotel Rembrandt in Quezon City over the weekend, Cam said de Lima knew from the start that there were many lawmakers allegedly involved in the pork anomaly but she kept the information under wraps.

    According to Cam, the DOJ seemed to have manipulated the list because only three senators — Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. – were charged.

    “Stop the selective justice and justice for sale under your turf,” she said, apparently in reference to de Lima.

    Cam noted that when Benhur Luy testified at the Senate blue ribbon committee, he did not mention names but made references only to Tanda, Seksi and Pogi.

    “[But] the next day, de Lima said she will prosecute the three senators though their names [are]yet to be mentioned by the whistleblowers,” she said.

    Activist Argee Guevarra also on Sunday called on Aquino to stop coddling Abad, Senate President Franklin Drilon and Technical Skills Development Authority Secretary General Joel Villanueva.

    Guevarra and his group, Scrap Pork Movement, said all individuals included in the “Napolists” should be investigated.

    Hard disk
    Meanwhile, the camp of Luy confirmed the existence of a hard disk drive containing Napoles’ transactions but clarified that the data contained in it must first pass Luy’s scrutiny.

    Raji Mendoza, Luy’s legal counsel, told The Times in a phone interview that Luy can only affirm the existence of the disk but not its content because it could have been recopied or manipulated.

    Mendoza presented a handwritten statement to a national daily that has been publishing supposed files by Luy.

    “The last sentence [in the statement]is essential because as Benhur has acknowledged only the existence of the database and the fact that the [Philippine Daily] Inquirer had copied it, the data [are]yet to be authenticated by Benhur,” the lawyer said.

    The Inquirer has been publishing a series of reports for the past 12 days involving new names involved in the pork barrel issue.

    The second paragraph of the statement says “Benhur further confirms the existence of his hard drive which was at that time given to Atty. Baligod by Benhur’s parents for safekeeping.”

    “The contents of Benhur’s hard drives were shared by former counsel, Atty. Levito Baligod, with the PDI to support the allegations against the Napoles group. PDI reproduced the same copies,” Mendoza said.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    10 Comments

    1. This “clique” is managed by the president himself so this is not true: The source also claimed that the leader of the group is “moving on his own” and “without presidential imprimatur.”

      The public knows how the list is being managed by DOJ/PNoy’s admin. To begin with, Janet Napoles is not a credible witness because she lied before the senate blue ribbon committee and will continue to all of us.

    2. The Pilipinos’ overwhelming perception that the “pork barrel” for lawmakers in Congress is the primordial incentive for politicians to get elected as member of Congress is now proven true. This is validated by the number of lawmakers (20 /Senators and 200 Congressmen) involved in the PDAF scam as shown on the lists of both Napoless and Ben Hur Luy. I suspect that this type of scam has been going on since the time the pork barrel was invented by shrewsd and corrupt leaders of the country. It only goes to show how utterly and shamelessly corrupt are our lawmakers! Congress is now a morally bankrupt institution which no longer houses politicians of statesman’s caliber and integrity but houses full of flesh-eating worms and termites!
      Now Congress has become a corrupt institution comparable to Bu”of Customs and Bu. Of Internal Revenue, the much maligned agencies of Govt. Let’s abolish Congress and. Replace it with a Parliatment instead. ,

    3. What else is the Ombudsman waiting for? It found ” probable cause” to prosecute Enrile, Estrada and Revilla for plunder on their PDAF allotments for illegally amassing a portion of this pork barrel as commissions from Napoles! Ombudsman must file these cases in he Sandiganbayan so that warrants of arrest can be issued and put these lawmakers-thieves in jail and start the wheel of justice rolling. Other lawmakers included in the Napoles and Ben Hur Lu lists should also be prosecuted in separate complaints, venue or different indictments since each PDAF scam or illegal graft is committed individually by each lawmaker. Each case of plunder is separate and distinct from one lawmaker to another. Prosecution “en masse” is not proper and will just cause mass confusion and chaos. The Supreme Court, in its incidental power to oversee and control the Judiciary branch should create Special Courts for this purpose.
      Jun Adan
      New York City

    4. Roxas and Binay are out for the 2016 Presidential race. Miriam Santiago could be a potential candidate but her motor mouth, arrogance, lack of finnish and no projection of her vision for the Philippines will not get my endorsement. I like Lacson because he is the only Political figure not tainted by the Pork Barrel Scandal plus he is honest. and seems like a strong
      leader.How about a member of the AYALA clan.They are already rich and are all successful in business? Perhaps they can turn the whole Philippines into a better place to live.

    5. What is taking so long for the Sandigan Bayan to act and start the prosecutions?We are tired of this Moro Moro business in our Justice system.Where are the Pork Barrel demonstrators? We need to go and protest the very slow pace and politicized procedures in resolving this biggest scandal in our history. Why is the Supreme Court not acting enough to give orders to the lower courts to act quickly and give them a timetable?

      Perhaps a coup d’etat is necessary but our Military are also so corrupt and politicized and I do not see a great leader in the our batch of current Generals.How about another Martial Law selecting a strong and honest leader making our Country next to Japan again and ruling like that great leader of Singapore.

    6. Ano ang hihintayin ? ang confirmation kay Napoles , mahirap ng paniwalaan si Napoles, nagsinungaling na iyan noong una , wala na siyang kredebilidad, ang mga naunang state witness ang dapat bigyang pansin like B. Luy. Sayang lang panahon kung si Napoles lang ang basehan ng investigation sa pork barrel scam, tiyak lahat gagawin niya para hindi siya masali sa mga ikukulong.Marami naman palang kasama sa kulungan ang naunang 3 senador, kita kita sila nila Cayetano, Drilon, Escudero, pahabol pa si Abad, may quorum na nga sa loob ng kulungan, puede na silang magtayo ng basketball team may muse pa sila, si Loren.

    7. Its always here a confidential source said this, its so easy to say anything. If there isnt proof ignore it. Pinoys love listening to & spreading & also making up rumours, you all do it. Now those in government who are innocent have nothing to fear as to be implicated means your allowance ( whatever you want to call it ) has been stolen & not used for the purpose it was supposed to have been used for. If its been stolen then you are guilty as ignorance should be no excuse. You want these monies to do projects you accept them then if they get stolen its your responsibility. Do not be fooled by these people who say i didnt know where it went, yes they did they knew fiull well where it went.

    8. Rocky Coronel on

      To insinuate that the issue is being manipulated by someone who wants to be president in 2016 only points to Roxas and without any evidence, it is already a demolition job. I thought irresponsible media exposure such as this one happens only in the PDI.

    9. Hindi lang si Janet Napoles kundi lahat ng kumita sa PDAF Scam maski na isang sentimo sa Kaban ng Bayan mula sa ExecuThieves, LegislaThieves at JudiciaThieves ay dapat makulong. Sila ang mga nagpahirap ng mamayan Pilipino, di Ba Ho Nyo alam mga anak at apo ng 40 Thieves na pinakawalan nuon EDSA I na ang nagnakaw ng isang toothpaste ay nakulong ?

    10. Resty reyes on

      Ikulong ng na Lang iyang si Napolies ng habangbuhay, Hindi na siya kapanipaniwala.