Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said Wednesday the commission needs to discuss en banc the Supreme Court decision on the status of the winning 2013 party lists groups before it decides what to do next.
“The commission en banc will really have to discuss it first. It is unclear unless we can read the entire order,” Brillantes said.
“It was already read to me but I still cannot understand the decision. I believe it is unclear [what we should do next],” he said.
Brillantes said that he would want to see the full text of the order first before the Comelec decides on its next move.
On Wednesday, the court issued a status quo ante order on the disqualification of the poll body over the Coalition of Senior Citizens in the Philippines (Senior Citizens) and the Abang Lingkod party-list groups.
The decision amends of the temporary restraining order (TRO) the court issued last week stopping the Comelec from proclaiming the last batch of winning party-list groups.
The TRO was in response to the petition filed by the Senior Citizens party-list questioning the Comelec’s decision to disqualify them.
The commission had already proclaimed 38 party-list groups, entitling them to 53 seats in the incoming 16th Congress. Five more seats are yet to be filled.
Senior Citizens got 677,642 votes which entitle it with two seats in the Congress, while Abang Lingkod had 260,215 votes which is good for one seat.
JOHANNA M. SAMPAN