Students in two typhoon-devastated provinces in Mindanao will have their classes under tents while authorities look for suitable sites for new schools.
The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday said students in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, which bore the brunt of Typhoon Pablo last year, will have to make do with tents for classrooms when school opens on June 2.
Jesus Mateo, Education Assistant Secretary for Planning, said the education department has yet to look for the safest places on which to build new schools, saying that land use planning is very essential to lessen the impact of natural hazards like typhoons and earthquakes.
“Last week, when I visited the town of Andap in Compostela Valley there were no identified sites for the new school buildings so elementary students will temporarily have their classes at the nearest national high school. We requested the principal that the 3rd and 4th year high school students be the ones to use the tents,” Mateo told reporters.
Public elementary and high school students in remote areas where there are no high schools have no choice but to have their classes under tents.
DepEd said classes in tents in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental started last December.
NEIL A. ALCOBER