For the third time, the oral arguments on the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) will be conducted Tuesday afternoon.
During the hearing, the Congress is set to present its arguments to defend the legality of DAP.
In the second oral arguments on DAP held last January 28, Budget and Management Secretary Florencio Abad said that the implementation of DAP has been stopped since the middle of 2013.
Abad added that the government has abandoned the DAP because the government has achieved its objective for the economy in the utilization of the P149-billion amount of DAP last year.
The DAP was first implemented in October 2011, Abad said, which brought about a 2.3-percent full-year growth in the country during the same year.
Because of this, Solicitor General Francis Jardeleza argued that the DAP case can now be considered as “moot and academic”.
However, on the part of the petitioners, they are expecting that the Supreme Court (SC) will render a decision based on the merit of the case.
There are currently nine petitions pending before the SC questioning the legality of DAP.
These petitions were filed by former Iloilo Rep. Augusto Syjuco, Jr., former Manila Councilor Greco Belgica, Philippine Constitution Association (PHILCONSA), Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP), Confederation for Unity, Recognition and Advancement of Government Employees (COURAGE) and the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC).
The petitioners believe that the DAP is violative of the Constitution, particularly Section 29 of Article 6 of the Constitution which states that the government shall not disburse its funds to projects not included in the appropriations law. PNA