• Cops link BIFF to banana firm security officer ambush


    COTABATO CITY: Police in Datu Abdullah Sangki town in Maguindanao admitted difficulty following up the case of an ambush of officials of a multi-national banana plantation in Maguindanao because of people’s indifference.

    Wounded in that ambush in Barangay Tolokanogong, Abdullah Sangki town in Maguindanao on Thursday last week was Captain Ferdinand Fernandez, chief security officer of Delinanas Development Company, and Anthony Clark Garpas, Human Resources Officer of the banana firm.

    Fernandez was hit on his head and was rushed to Davao City while Garpas was slightly wounded.

    Senior Inspector Wendelyn Banico, officer in charge of Datu Abdullah Sangki PNP, said Fernandez was driving a pick-up vehicle along with Garpas en route to the plant packing area in Barangay Banana when unidentified gunmen fired at them.

    Fernandez was escorting Delinanas Development company executives when the ambush occurred at about 9 p.m.

    Banico said the ambush site was an isolated place and no one witnessed the incident except the victim.

    Banico believed lawless Moro bandits were involved in the ambush but police are still gathering evidences to prove its claim.

    When police asked residents nearby, they refused to give statement and said they have not seen anyone and not aware of the ambush.

    Despite this, Banico said the Abdullah Sangki police will continue to investigate and are following up a lead.

    Banico said the firm’s executive have been receiving threats but refused to ask for police protection.

    The area where the ambush site was a known area of operation of the outlawed Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) which the military and police blamed for the rash of violence in Maguindanao. PNA


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.


    1. I beg to disagree that any security guard nor local police or soldier came to our rescue… I had to fight back alone and was able to survive despite being badly wounded. I was able to reach the nearest military/CAA detachment but not anyone of them lifted a hand to help. They saw me badly wounded and I requested security/escort in going out of the area but was denied.