THE government spends P10 billion a year to relocate illegal settlers living along danger zones, Vice President Jejomar Binay said on Friday.
Binay, who is the chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), said the plan to relocate all illegal settlers in five years is a “special project” of the government.
He said the project was given a P50-billion budget by President Benigno Aquino 3rd.
“P10 billion per year. That’s for 20,000 units. So, in five years we will have 100,000,” Binay said, referring to the housing units needed.
The government relocation plan is “right on course,” adding that some 34,000 families have been benefited since the project began in 2011.
“Since the start of the term of President Aquino, the National the National Housing Authority [NHA] has already assisted 34,050 households,” he said.
The Vice President said for the first half of 2013 alone, the NHA had already assisted 13,251 families living in risky or flood-prone areas, with 20,750 more families to be assisted by the end of the year.
The relocation began on Monday, with an initial batch of 80 illegal settler families living along the San Juan River transferred to San Jose Heights in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan, one of the government’s resettlement sites.
Binay announced recently that 4,800 housing units are ready for occupancy in the
NHA’s resettlement sites in Trece Martires in Cavite and in San Jose del Monte, Bocaue, Norzagaray and Pandi in Bulacan.
The resettlement sites are equipped with basic utilities and facilities such as water and electricity, health center and a school.
The government launched in 2011 a five-year P50-billion housing program for illegal settlers in Metro Manila.
Based on data from NHA, there are 104,219 illegal settler families living in danger areas in the metropolis, with 60,130 of them living along major waterways.