Councilors feast on P45-M pork

0

If the House of Representatives received a yearly P70 million in the so-called pork barrel, Quezon City councilors get P45 million yearly for pork.

Advertisements

The amount, city hall insiders said, is chopped in a 45-55 ratio.

The 45 percent of the councilors’ local pork is automatically dedicated to operating expenses that covers personal services like hired assistants and staff, and maintenance; the remaining 55 percent is dedicated to projects.

However, documents for the approved appropriations for the year 2013 obtained by The Manila Times, show that pork allocations favor certain councilors.

For current operating expenditures alone, two city lawmakers in the first district seemed to enjoy much pork.

Of the six councilors in the district, Councilors Ricardo “RJ” Belmonte has an approved appropriation of P44,805,768 while Alex Herrera had P46,758,368 pork.

District 3 councilors Jimmy Borres got over P44 million and Don Deleon, over P42 million. In District 4, councilors Marvin Rillo and Jessica also had over P44 million. The other District 4 councilor, Vincent Belmonte had over P40 million.

The rest had over P30 million, for their operating expenses, with Majority Floor Leader Bong Suntay of District 4 with only P27 million and the Minority Leader Pinggoy Lagumbay with a little over P20 million.

City budget officer Marian Orayani explained that the allocation for each councilor’s office depended on the councilor’s proposal and not on a councilor’s particular title or designation in the city council. Councilors who included projects that are being undertaken by another office were informed that said the proper office would implement projects.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.