MALACAÑANG on Thursday said the public remains safe amid the rash of violent crimes recently, including the killing of a Quezon City policeman.
In a news briefing, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other law enforcement units are on top of the situation.
“The President can face the world with a clear view that the Philippines is safe for investors, the Philippines is safe for its citizens. Hindi kinakailangang magpinta tayo ng larawan ng ligalig dahil ang sitwasyon naman ay masasabi nating stable [We don’t have to paint the picture that the Philippines is in turmoil because the situation is stable],” the official told reporters.
According to him, there is a continuing effort by the government to “instill respect for the law.”
“The crime situation is well under the control of the police authorities,” Coloma pointed out.
All police units, he said, have been directed to maintain peace and order by ensuring police visibility at all times and fostering warm relationships with local communities.
To contain crime, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas 2nd directed the PNP to increase police visibility to curb crime despite a report by the National Capital Regional Police Office (NCRPO) that criminality was on a downtrend in August.
The NCRPO, headed by Director Carmelo Valmoria, said there was a decline in crime incidence in Metro Manila, particularly of robbery cases. The report said from August 11 to 17, the police recorded 692 robberies, down from the 757 cases in the same period last year.
Roxas attributed the decline in crime incidence to the increase in the number of policemen deployed on the streets.
The NCRPO fielded 1,000 additional policemen in Metro Manila.
WITH REPORT FROM ANTHONY VARGA