A BROADCASTER from Pangasinan is asking the assistance of the Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate the foiled assassination attempt in his life last month.
Orlando Navarro, station manager of DWIZ in Dagupan, went to the DOJ office with his legal counsel Atty. Ferdie Topacio on Thursday to ask Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s help to catch those responsible for the crime.
In his one page affidavit, Navarro asked the DOJ chief to tap the National Bureau of Investigation and investigate Dagupan Mayor Belen Fernandez and her ally Marlon Quebral.
Navarro also asked for the investigation of Dagupan Police Chief Christopher Abrahano, former Pangasinan Provincial Director Marlon Chan and former Criminal Investigation and Detention Group-Pangasinan head Freddie Laoyan.
“While I was at the hospital emergency room, I ask my daughter Angelica Navarro to put on record from my cellphone the names of the following persons who have the intention to perpetrate the crime [Fernandez et al],” Navarro’s affidavit read.
When asked why he wants Fernandez to be investigated, Navarro said he has been criticizing the mayor’s administration and he wants investigators to have a lead.
Navarro was shot by a still unidentified gunman on August 26 in Dagupan City. He was hit at the upper left of his back and a timely medical intervention saved his life.
Also with Navarro at the DOJ were Juan Dayang of the Publishers Association of the Philippines and Federation of Provincial Press Clubs of the Philippines President Allan Sison.
Sison, also a Dagupan broadcaster and a victim of a foiled killing in Pangasinan, said the justice department must not leave any stones unturned in finding the perpetrators of the crime.
Dayang, on the other hand, condemned the latest assasination attempt against the life of a journalist. He also reminded the people to remember the gruesome Maguindanao massacre where 33 journalists were slain.