The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will go ahead with P5-billion flood control projects funded by the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) despite the Supreme Court ruling that the disbursement program is unconstitutional.
DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson said on Saturday the projects included in the agency’s Flood Management Master Plan for Metro Manila, Central Luzon and Laguna Lake will push through.
“Contrary to the published story, we are relentlessly pursuing these projects as planned and on schedule especially at this point in time when the country is bracing for strong typhoons,” Singson said in a statement.
The Supreme Court decision has clouded DPWH’s priority projects whose funds are sourced from the DAP.
Singson had been quoted as saying that the DPWH has no choice but to temporarily suspend the projects until a supplemental budget is passed for them.
He noted that the projects proved effective when Typhoon Glenda battered parts of Metro Manila and neighboring provinces last Wednesday.
“Although some parts of Metro Manila have been inundated, the water level was not as high as the usual floods experienced before,” Singson said.
He said several flood control projects included in the P5-billion fund have been completed.
Among the biggest are two projects involving the Manila Bay seawall costing P211.05 million, six projects for improving the Upper Marikina River system (P222.50 million), the dredging of the Marikina River (P50 million) and the Mangahan Floodway (P100 million) and the construction of slope protection along Cainta and Taytay rivers (P190 million).
There are other projects in various stages of completion, Singson said.
The DPWH is also working with the Laguna Lake Development Authority in building a river control structure at Sta. Maria-Mabitac River and Sta. Cruz-San Pedro-Biñan rivers, a P780-million undertaking that is 92.52 percent complete.