Three of the five police officers assigned to Davao and seven others to Cebu province named recently by President Rodrigo Duterte were removed from their posts on Monday.
Chief Insp. Andrea dela Cerna, Police Regional Office (PRO)-Region 11 spokeswoman, said the leadership took action against Senior Insp. Martin Plaza, Senior Police Officer 2 Rosil Ellevera and Police Officer (PO) 2 Rechie Mat.
PO3 Filomino Soronio died of cardiac arrest in 2010 and PO3 Jessie Balabag has gone into hiding after his sacking on August 3, 2015 for serious neglect of duty.
Dela Cerna said Plaza is under restrictive custody while his firearms, ID and badge have been recalled. A team from PRO-11 has conducted a lifestyle check on Plaza.
Ellevera and Mat, of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), were directed by their chief to report to headquarters in Manila.
They have denied using drugs or being involved in the drug trade, saying they are willing to face investigation to clear their name.
Dela Cerna said the PNP regional leadership stands firm on pursuing genuine transformation as all personnel were directed to be relentless and vigilant against criminality and corruption.
On Sunday, Duterte exposed the names of more than a hundred judges, local officials, policemen and military men on the watch list of the government’s war against illegal drugs. The list included eight judges, 56 current and former mayors, vice mayors and congressmen and more than 80 police and Army officers.
President Duterte has ordered all police and military personnel who serve as security detail of officials to report back to their respective mother units within 24 hours from the time of his announcement.
Meanwhile, Chief Supt. Noli Taliño, PRO 7 director, has ordered the dismissal of seven police officers mentioned by Duterte as alleged drug protectors.
“They will have their day in court and answer all allegations of their involvement in illegal drugs, including former [Cebu City] mayor Michael Rama,” he said.
Supt. Romeo Santander is the only commissioned officer under PRO 7 on the list.
The rest are non-commissioned officers–Police Officer (PO)2 Michael Cortez and Senior Police Officer (SPO)1 Onel Nabua, both of Barili Police Station; PO3 Ryan Martus Kiamco, Cebu Provincial Police Office; SPO1 Jen dela Victoria, Cebu City Police Station 5; PO2 Jomar Ibañez, Lapu-Lapu City Police Office; and SPO3 Christie Cielo Tingad.
Santander was appointed last week as Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) deputy director for operations, replacing Supt. George Ylanan, who was transferred to PRO 10 (Northern Mindanao).
Santander was the chief of Cebu City Intelligence Branch (CIB) before he transferred to the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office and back to the CCPO.
In 2011, then a police chief inspector, Santander received an award as The Nation’s Best Junior Police Commissioned Officer of the Year, from former President Benigno Aquino 3rd.
When he had become a superintendent, Santander and two of his CIB personnel were recognized in 2015 by Camp Crame for their accomplishments against the illegal drug trade.
Taliño said he plans to transfer Santander to the Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit, while the other officers will be turned over to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group for investigation.