The monsoon floods that deluged Metro Manila and outlying provinces earlier in the week have claimed 17 lives so far, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), reported Thursday.
NDRRMC spokesman Major Reynaldo Balido said the latest fatality was a resident of Nueva Ecija who had been missing.
Balido said at least 303,246 families or 1,731,392 people were affected by the rain and floods.
Of these, 43,206 families or 217,195 people are staying at evacuation centers.
The Pasay City government on Thursday continued to close watch of critical areas, particularly Maricaban and Malibay, which remained underwater.
Pasay Mayor Antonino Calixto ordered evacuation centers in the city to stay open in case heavy rain pours again.
“We will not let our guard down. Pasay has zero casualty and we would like to maintain that until the weather becomes better, that is why we are still monitoring the situation,” Calixto said.
As of Thursday noon, Pasay’s Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (DRRMO) reported 204 families staying at evacuation centers, although many families had returned to their homes after floodwaters receded.
Pasay City Government Spokesman Jonathan Malaya said floods in Barangay 65, 176, 177, 179, 180, 181, 182, 184, 186, 190, 191, 192 and 201 have subsided and only Barangays 137 and 183 were still submerged.
RITCHIE A. HORARIO