THE American Diabetes Association has published three new cookbooks that can make creating great meals easy and fun. Better news for everyone is that even if you do not have diabetes, these recipes are a delicious way to enjoy healthy eating.
1. Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook: More Than 160 Delicious Recipes for Everything From Snacks to Desserts, Second Edition, from the American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association: Foods healthful for people with diabetes are also good for those with heart-health issues. This expanded cookbook offers new recipes, new twists on old classics and updated meal-planning advice. Each recipe has full nutritional information and exchanges and can help you eat and feel better. So can this:
• Enjoy foods from all the food groups. Include fiber-rich, whole-grain foods; legumes, nuts, seeds; vegetables, fruits, lean meats, skinless poultry and fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
• Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity a week.
• Limit daily intake of cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams.
• Keep intake of sodium to less than 2,300 mg per day.
• Limit alcohol consumption to one drink a day for women, two drinks a day for men.
2. The Diabetes Fast-Fix Slow-Cooker Cookbook: Fresh Twists on Family Favorites: Slow-cooker meals are inexpensive, healthful and generally hassle-free. Nancy S. Hughes’ new book brightens familiar favorites with fresh, seasonal ingredients and ways to dramatically improve flavor and texture. Chapters include appetizers, snacks, beverages, sandwiches, soups and chilis, stews, ragouts, meatless entrées, sides and desserts.
Each of the 150 recipes meets the American Diabetes Association’s nutritional guidelines and features complete nutrition information and food choices or exchanges.
3. Simply Smoothies: Fresh, Fast & Diabetes-Friendly: Linda Gassenheimer shares a terrific solution to the need for meals on the go that are not laden with fats, calories and sugar—smoothies.
She offers 60 easy and delicious meals and snacks to curb cravings and keep you satisfied. Each recipe has complete nutritional information and diabetic choices and exchanges.
These and other American Diabetes Association books are available on ShopDiabetes.org, or you can visit www.diabetes.org. North American Precis Syndicate