• Dengue cases subsiding – Palace exec

    0
    FOGGY BLAST  A worker fumigates the Baclaran Central Elementary School as part of the local government’s campaign to stop dengue. PHOTO BY RENE H. DILAN

    FOGGY BLAST
    A worker fumigates the Baclaran Central Elementary School as part of the local government’s campaign to stop dengue. PHOTO BY RENE H. DILAN

    Malacañang on Sunday allayed fears of rising dengue cases, saying the Department of Health (DOH) has reported that incidents in at least 10 regions have tapered off.

    Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said while there were reports about a rise in dengue cases in Northern Luzon and some areas in Cavite province, the DOH continues to give medical assistance to those affected.

    “Our government hospitals are ready to deal with the problem,” he said.

    Coloma said the 10 regions that reported a drop in dengue cases are Region 4-B (Mimaropa), from 1,646 to 1,346, year-on-year; Bicol, from 993 to 868; Western Visayas, from 5,718 to 3,756; Central Visayas, 3,481 last year to only 3,326; Eastern Visayas, from 4,508 to 737; Zamboanga Peninsula, from 4,743 and now only 3,981; Northern Mindanao from 6,298 to 5,795; Davao region, from 5,849 to 2,619; Soccsksargen, from 5,302 to only 5,109; and Caraga, to 2,598 cases from 6,946 previously.

    “We should focus on prevention. We ask the public to ensure cleanliness of their surroundings to prevent dengue carriers from spawning. The DOH is also coordinating with local government authorities regarding this,” the Palace official said.

    He maintained that the people should not be anxious about the resurgence of dengue because the government is closely monitoring every development.

    “The DOH continues to provide government medical facilities everything they need on the provincial, city or municipal levels to allow for prompt and timely medical attention for Dengue patients,” Coloma stressed.

    Meanwhile, the Palace official said the government is also monitoring another deadly disease, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), following reports of the death of a 63-year-old Saudi national in the country.

    “We have protocols that we follow whenever we receive such reports. What is important is contact tracing to identify people who the victim had mingled with to prevent its spread,” Coloma said.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.