• DFA: No Filipino casualty reported yet

    1

    Malacañang on Saturday said no Filipinos have so far been affected by the terrorist attacks in Paris, France.

    In a radio interview, Palace deputy spokesman Abigail Valte said the Philippine Embassy in Paris is closely monitoring the situation and is ready to extend assistance to Filipinos who may need it.

    “The Department of Foreign Affairs has been in contact with our post in Paris and our embassy is reporting, thus far, we have not received any reports of Filipino casualties or injuries in the attacks that took place last night in Paris,” Valte told government-run dzRB radio.

    “But our Philippine Embassy is ready and is continuing to monitor the situation should assistance be required to be extended to any of our citizens there whether tourist or resident,” she added.

    On Saturday, bombings and shootings were reported in Paris. At least 120 people were killed in six places, including a concert hall and a restaurant.

    The Palace officials said the Philippines “mourns the dead and stands shoulder to shoulder with France.”

    “At a time that demands heightened security from all of us, we ask Filipinos in Paris to heed the instructions of the authorities and for all of us to cooperate and be vigilant here at home,” Valte said.

    “As of now, the President has been informed of these developments and has given instructions that have been carried out already by our Philippine National Police and the other members of our security establishment,” she added.

    There are around 48,000 Filipinos in France, according to a 2013 data by the Commission on Filipinos Overseas, while more than 10 million are scattered across the globe, making them vulnerable to security threats, calamities and domestic conflicts in their host countries.

    The DFA statement read,  “The Philippines condemns unequivocally the horrific terror attacks on Paris. These were cowardly assaults on innocent and defenseless people.

    “The world must stand together against violent extremism. There are no reports of Filipino casualties so far.

    “Our Embassy stands ready to assist Filipinos in France.We continue to monitor the situation very closely.”

    Catherine S. Valente and Bernice Camille Bauzon

    With PNA

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. Why? Are we prepared as a country? We can not even solve the “tanim-bala” fiasco at our premier airport?