The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday advised Filipinos in Libya to prepare for possible evacuation after it raised crisis alert level 2 there because of the deteriorating political and security situation.
Under the new alert level, Filipinos are advised to restrict their movements, avoid places of public protest and defer non-essential travel.
The department said in a statement that alert level 2 was raised upon the recommendation of the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli.
“Under alert level 2, the Department of Labor and Em–ployment only allows overseas Filipino workers with existing contracts [balik-manggagawa] to return to their host country,” the DFA said.
In 2013, more than 8,000 newly hired Filipinos were deployed to Libya. Most of them work as nurses, welders, engineers, wiremen, laborers and helpers.
An armed revolt in Libya started last week when General Khalifa Hifter called for a new presidential council to take over until the next parliament elections.
On Sunday, armed militias stormed the parliament buil–ding in Tripoli and the legislature was suspended.