• Diame helps Hull back into EPL


    LONDON: Hull City hit the promotion jackpot as Mohamed Diame’s stunning strike sent them back to the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Sheffield on Wednesday in the Championship play-off final on Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

    Exactly 370 days after being relegated from the Premier League, Steve Bruce’s side sealed their third promotion to the top flight in nine seasons thanks to Senegal midfielder Diame’s moment of magic at Wembley.

    Diame’s majestic second-half winner means Hull will bank the huge cash windfall due to Premier League clubs as a result of the new television contracts that kick in next season.

    While Wednesday would have made £170 million ($246 million, 223 million euros) if they had gone up, the value to the Tigers is £110 million as they will have to forgo parachute payments pending following their relegation last year.

    But it is the pride of counting themselves among English football’s 20 elite clubs that matters most to Hull, whose promotion was a much-needed tonic for the club’s Egyptian owner Assem Allam, who is seriously ill in hospital.

    “I thought we had too many big chances and kept missing them, but thankfully Diame has come up with a wonder goal that would grace any cup final,” Bruce said.

    It was also a record-breaking achievement for Bruce, who is the first manager to win four promotions to the top flight in the Premier League era.

    The former Manchester United defender took Birmingham up in 2002 and 2007, and was also promoted with Hull in 2013.

    Diame’s heroics continued Hull’s hectic recent history as they have been promoted in 2013, reached the FA Cup final in 2014, relegated in 2015 and now promoted again.

    Hull finished nine points ahead of Wednesday in the second-tier table and were making their third trip to Wembley in the last two years, while their Yorkshire rivals were appearing at the national stadium for the first time since the 1993 FA Cup final.

    Championship finals are notoriously tight affairs, but it was Wednesday, seeking to end their 16-year exile from the Premier League, who made the brighter start.

    Fernando Forestieri tested Hull goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic with an inswinging free-kick after he won the set-piece by accelerating away from Michael Dawson, who was booked for hacking down the Wednesday forward.

    Jakupovic also had to dive low to his left to punch away a Ross Wallace free-kick, but Hull gradually began to take control.

    The Tigers came close to snatching the lead when Abel Hernandez met Robert Snodgrass’s corner with a powerful header that was chested off the line by Kieran Lee before Dawson’s effort from the rebound was scrambled clear.


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.