The President is fine.
Malacañang at past midnight Saturday denied a rumor that all engagements of President Benigno Aquino 3rd had been cancelled after he “collapsed” Friday night.
“I have communicated with the President regarding the rumors circulating tonight that he collapsed, and he immediately responded to my text with: ‘No such thing,’” Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.
He said Palace officials had “no idea” where the report originated, but apparently it was triggered by a tweet from a Malacañang reporter who quoted a “source”.
Lacierda said he got wind of the “rumor” after he was barraged with calls and text messages from reporters inquiring about the reported incident.
A reporter from a government media agency said they were up until the wee hours of Saturday following reports that something happened to the President.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte, in a radio interview, reiterated Lacierda’s statement, insisting that the President was 100 percent in good health.
“He did not mention that he was not feeling well, including cold and cough,” she said.
Valte said the President was in good spirits during the opening of the Aguinaldo museum in Kawit, Cavite last Friday where he was last seen in public.
“We don’t know where these things come from. The President met a lot of people this week and was recently in Kawit, and everybody can see that he is in good spirits . . . That he is in a good condition,” she said,
The President had cancelled engagements due to health reasons in the past.
Valte said the President undergoes a regular medical checkup, but she had no information when was the last time he was seen by a doctor.
“I can assure you that the President’s health is in good condition according to his physician. And I have been with him last week, and he has not told me about suffering from colds or a cough,” she said.
“From what happened last night, it’s prudent to, again, to repeat that we should be cautious about spreading information, especially on social media,” Valte added.