ALSO known as “people carriers”, this multi-purpose vehicles (MPVs) resemble tall estate cars.
Larger MPVs may have seating for up to eight passengers. (Beyond that size, similar vehicles tend to be derived from vans and in Europe are called minibuses)
Being taller than a family car improves visibility for the driver (while reducing visibility for other road users) and may help access for the elderly or disabled.
They also offer more seats and increased load capacity than hatchbacks or estate cars.
Examples of mini MPVs:
· The Ford B-Max (stylized as Ford B-MAX) is a mini MPV manufactured by the Ford Motor Company since 2012. Built on the Ford B3 platform, it was initially unveiled as a concept- car at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show and was officially launched at the 2012 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Production began in June 2012, and marketing of the first units started during late July.It was launched in the UK on 1 September 2012.[
· The Citroën C3 Picasso is a mini MPV (MPV) produced by the French motor company Citroen since 2008. It was first unveiled at the 2008 Paris Motor Show as a concept car named “Drooneel”,and was designed by Donato Coco and Jean-Pierre Ploue.
· The Opel Meriva is a multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) produced by the German manufacturer Opel, from late 2002 to present. Its first generation was classified as a mini MPV, whereas the second generation is acompacr MPV.
· In the United Kingdom, it is marketed as the Vauxhall Meriva, while in South America, the first generation was marketed as the Chevrolet Meriva. Examples of compact MPVs:
· SEAT Altea (Please see related article on page 3)
· Opel ZafiraTourer (Please see related article on page 3)
· Ford C-Max (Please see related article on page 3)
Both categories are equivalent to the EuroNCAP class “Small MPVs”.
Examples of large MPVs / minivans:Ford Galaxy
· The award-winning SEAT Alhambra is an MPV with some truly surprising features.
So it’s no surprise it was not only named Best MPV by Diesel car, but voted Best MPV in Year 2011, 2012 and 2013!
This category is equivalent to the EuroNCAP class “MPVs”.