DAYS before New Year’s eve, the injuries from firecrackers has reached 140 as of Friday, the Department of Health announced.
The injuries include a teenager from Cebu, whose right hand had to be cut off after a firecracker named “Yolanda” exploded before he could let go of it. He is the first serious injury reported from this year’s pyrotechnic merry-making.
National Epidemiology Center head Dr. Enrique Tayag also said another victim of fireworks—a five-year-old boy from Iloilo—had to have his right index finger amputated after using a camara or small dynamite.
Curiously both victims hail from the provinces where Super Typhoon Yolanda hit on November 8 leaving 6,100 dead and hundreds of thousands homeless until this time.
Yolanda was also the name adopted by fireworks makers this year for their most powerful new creation.
Tayag said that as of 6 a.m. Friday, the 140 injuries is almost double the 77 reported on Thursday.
Tayag said that of the fireworks-related injuries, 82 were from piccolo.
Tayag said the DOH recorded 77 fireworks related injuries on Thursday, 34 percent lower than the 116 recorded in the same period last year.