FORMER World Boxing Association (WBA) Super featherweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire Jr. returns to action on March 28 against Brazilian slugger William Prado at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.
Five months after suffering a sixth round knockout loss against Jamaican Nicholas Walters (25-0 record with 21 knockouts) in California, the 32-year-old Donaire returned to light training and conditioning early last month according to his father and trainer Nonito Sr.
“We agreed to fight a worthy opponent for his comeback fight. Nonito is undergoing training since early last month. He is very determined to win again and strengthen his quest for another world title shot,” the older Donaire told The Manila Times on Saturday in a phone interview.
Donaire Jr. (33-3 win-loss record with 21 knockouts) will fight the 31-year-old Prado (22-4-1 record with 15 knockouts) in a big ALA Promotion ABS CBN fight card for the vacant North American Boxing Federation (NABF) super bantamweight crown.
“Nonito is set to go to the Philippines before the end of February to start his training,” said Nonito Sr. “I believe he can return to his usual aggressive but smart fighting style. He is very excited to fight again.”
After losing his first title defense in featherweight class, the 2012 Fighter of the Year Donaire decided to return to super bantamweight—the weight class where he earned four consecutive wins in 2012 before losing to Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba in 2013.
Prado, who is known as an aggressive fighter like Donaire is coming off a spectacular first round knockout win against Marcelo Bispo in April 2014 in São Paulo, Brazil.