Former super World Boxing Association (WBA) featherweight champion Nonito ‘The Filipino Flash’ Donaire Jr. won’t be seeking for a rematch versus Jamaican Nicholas Walters.
Donaire’s plan of possible return to the super bantamweight class was one of the reasons.
On Sunday, he was beaten by Walters via sixth-round technical knockout in Carson California.
“Nonito said earlier that he really wanted to rest and return to his natural weight class which is the super bantamweight or the junior featherweight,” Do-nairer’s father Nonito Sr., told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “There is no rematch plan so far since the featherweight class is bigger for him.”
Donaire (33-3 win-loss card with 21 knockouts) started well in the first two rounds before the newly crowned unified WBA undisputed featherweight king Walters wielded a knockout punch in the sixth round with 2:59 remaining to win the fight.
“Our strategy was not to engage with Walters but when Nonito hurt him in the second round, Nonito tried to knockout the Jamaican,” Nonito Sr. added. “That was a big mistake though. When our opponent connected some punches, Nonito got hurt.”
Walters’ unbeaten record improved to 25-0 with 21 knockouts.
“God saved me last night. I would have died by the sword last night. I would have kept getting up and if I stayed in that fight, I could have gotten brain damage,” Nonito Jr. said to Julio Garcia of The Boxing Voice.
A return in the junior featherweight division could possibly put him in a rematch against undefeated Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux (14-0 log with nine knockouts), who seized Donaire’s WBA and World Boxing Organization super bantamweight title in April 2013 via unanimous decision.