The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) on Friday night finally awarded the Php65-billion Light Rail Transit (LRT) 1 Cavite Extension project after repeated delays.
DOTC spokesperson Michael Arthur Sagcal said it was awarded to the Light Rail Manila Consortium (LRMC) despite the temporary restraining order (TRO) issued by the Supreme Court (SC) on the transfer of the common station.
LRMC is the project’s lone bidder composed of Metro Pacific Investments Corp., Ayala Corp. and Macquire Infrastructure Holdings Philippines Pte. Ltd
The High Court earlier issued a TRO against the transfer of the common station of the LRT 1 and Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT 3), which was sought by SM Prime Holdings Inc. last August 1.
SM Prime Holdings earlier said that the transfer violates a 2009 Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between them and the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA).
Since then, DOTC Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya has been coordinating with the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) to proceed with the award without going against the SC.
Abaya said that the department was pushing for the award for the country’s best interest.
At present, the consortium has 20 days to comply with post-award requirements which include paying 10 percent of its Php9.35-billion premium offer.
Only after completing the requirements can the concession agreement can be signed by both parties.
With the project, the current 20.7-kilometer LRT-1 will be given an extension of approximately 11.7 km from Baclaran in Pasay City to Bacoor City in Cavite. PNA