A lot of contractors are wondering why the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) recently awarded the P100-million Magallanes project to JD Legaspi Construction.
According to these contractors, Boyet Legaspi, who owns JD Legaspi Const., is known for not finishing the projects awarded to him by the agency.
Legaspi is also said to owe over a hundred million pesos to small contractors whom he sub-contracted for DPWH infrastructure projects.
Based on some documents, Legaspi still owes a certain Herminio Roxas some P30 million for an asphalt overlay in Bicol last year.
Several other contractors are also trying to collect almost P100 million from Legaspi but to no avail.
The group of contractors had filed a formal complaint at the office of Secretary Rogelio Singson and asked that Legaspi but banned but surprisingly, he still gets major projects like the one in Magallanes recently.
DPWH Undersecretary Romy Momo admitted that he does not know why Legaspi continues to get projects despite the fact that he has several “slippage” or derogatory reports.
Momo promised to look into the complaints against Legaspi by asking the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) to explain how the JD Legaspi Const. won the Magallanes contract despite several derogatory reports against the company.
No wonder some people have the impression that the BAC can be bribed by unscrupulous companies and individuals.
Somebody at DPWH has a lot of explaining to do!
* * *
They say that Chief Justice Renato Corona and Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierez were the first victims of the “tuwid na daan” (straight path) policy of the Pnoy administration.
Corona, who was ousted for amassing questionable wealth, and Gutierez, who was accused of sitting on controversial cases, were allies of former President Gloria Arroyo.
Surprisingly, several of Aquino’s men such as Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, Political Affairs Secretary Ronald Llamas, and Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala have also been embroiled in anomalies yet Malacanang refuses to lift a finger against these officials.
On Monday, the Palace said Alcala still has the full trust and confidence of the President. A Malacanang official said there is no evidence to warrant Alcala’s ouster.
Aw, c’mon…we’re not stupid!