LA TRINIDAD, Benguet: The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) chided some journalists in their “careless and insensitive” reportage in Tuesday last week’s hacking to death” of a DSWD-Cordillera employee in Villaviciosa town in Abra.
DSWD-Cordillera director Leonardo Reynoso said that they are saddened how some media outfits “created unfair speculations and accusations among the public on the details of his passing,” and insisted that 29-year-old John Paul Barbero is “a well-loved and hardworking community facilitator of the Kapit-bisig Laban sa Kahirapan—Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Services Project.”
Barbero, 29, of Barangay Apappaya, Villaviciosa town, was hacked with a bolo killing him instantly, the Cordillera police said in its regional crime journal sent daily to journalists here.
The initial police report claimed that, Barbero attempted to rape a 21-year-old girl in Sitio Las-ud, Barangay Bollilising, in the same town at 11 a.m. Tuesday last week, prompting a young brother of the latter to grab a bolo and hacked the DSWD employee to death.
Police added that, the DSWD employee arrived at the tobacco flue-curing barn of the hacking suspect and he tried to rape the latter’s sister, a casual employee of Medicare Hospital.
DSWD-Cordillera wants investigators to dig deeper into the case while “sympathizing and respecting the pains of both parties involved in the incident.
“We appeal for sensitivity and compassion especially from the public and the media to stop speculating and commenting on the matter which might impinge on the ongoing investigation about the incident,” Reynoso said.