The next administration will have to decide what to do about the estimated 400,000 students who will not proceed to Grade 11, an opposition lawmaker said on Saturday.
Education Secretary Armin Luistro said about 400,000 Grade 10 pupils will not enrol in Grade 11 as the Senior High School program was official rolled out this school year.
“Ang immediate nga hong problema sa totoo lang e ano ho ‘yung plano para sa 400,000 so ang gusto natin sa totoo lang mabigyan ng pagkakataon itong mga 400,000 na makapagtapos, makapag-aral [The immediate problem is what is the plan for the 400,000 so what we want is for these 400,000 to finish school, to study],” Kabataan Party-list Rep. Terry Ridon said in an interview. “So kung ano man ho ‘yung pwede gawin, either i-suspend ‘yung K to 12 or papasukin sila doon sa alternative learning system, iyan ho ‘yung dapat pag-aralan ng susunod pong administrasyon [So whatever can be done, either the K-to-12 will be suspended or enrol them in the alternative learning system, that is what the next administration should consider],” he added.
Incoming Education Secretary Leonor Briones said last week that she favors the implementation of the K-to-12 program.
“I will respect that position pero we want to know anong plano niyo para doon po sa 400,000 na hindi ho nag-proceed sa Grade 11. Papa-tenggahin na lang ho ba natin sila sa bahay? [I will respect that position but we want to know what your plan is for the 400,000 who will not proceed to Grade 11. Will we just let them hang idly at home?]” Ridon said.
When asked for suggestions, he replied, “’Yun na nga ho, I think there are existing programs for DepEd without having to suspend K-to-12 na pwede hong mag-cater doon po sa mga 400,000 po na mga bata so isang bagay ho iyan na dapat pag-aralan po ng susunod na administrasyon [I think there are existing programs for DepEd without having to suspend K to 12 that could cater to the 400,000 children so that is one thing that should be studied by the next administration].”