Duterte govt to push BBL

9

THE administration of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte is inclined to see full implementation of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) forged between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), as well as passage in Congress of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), Jesus Dureza, the incoming Peace Adviser of the new President, said.

Advertisements

Dureza made the assurance after the signing of a declaration of continuity in the search for sustainable peace between the two camps in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Monday.

“In my capacity as Presidential Peace Adviser-nominee to President-elect Rodrigo R. Duterte, allow me to welcome with positive note the forging in Malaysia of the declaration of continuity in the search for sustainable peace between the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front,” he said in a statement, which was read during a special meeting of the GPH [Government of the Philippines] and MILF negotiating panels.

Dureza lauded the affirmation of the partnership between the government and the MILF and vowed to continue the momentum of the Bangsamoro peace process once the new administration takes office on June 30.

“We intend to continue with the gains and build on those already done and achieved. The roadmap that we will traverse hereon will take policy guidance and direction from the new President when he assumes office on June 30, 2016,” the statement said.

Besides the declaration, the two panels signed two documents — the “Terms of Reference for the Establishment of the Bangsamoro Normalization Trust Fund (BNTF), a multi-donor trust fund envisioned in the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro (FAB) and the Annex on Normalization” as well as the Terms of Reference for the Project Board of the Mindanao Trust Fund for the Six Previously Acknowledged MILF Camps (MTF-RDP Camps Project).

The peace panels asserted that the signing of the declaration “seeks to ensure the full implementation of the agreement in the next administration.”

They also congratulated Duterte, expressing their “optimism that the roadmap provided for in the CAB will be fully accomplished” within the term of the new President.

 Dureza

Dureza

Government chief peace negotiator Professor Miriam Coronel-Ferrer and MILF peace negotiator Mohagher Iqbal welcomed Dureza’s statement, saying they are “very optimistic of the peace process going on a smooth transition to the next administration.”

“It’s very clear that [the Bangsamoro peace process]and the overall agenda to resolve all armed conflicts that have divided the country would remain a very important national agenda,” Ferrer said.

Outgoing Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Secretary Teresita Quintos Deles said she met with Dureza last week to discuss turnover and transition matters.

“The gesture is much appreciated, Secretary [Dureza] and I agreed that together with our teams, we will be working to ensure that there will be a seamless transition,” Deles added.

The Bangsamoro peace process under the Aquino administration was jumpstarted by the meeting of President Benigno Aquino 3rd and MILF Chairman Al-Haj Murad Ebrahim in Tokyo, Japan, in August 2011.

 Iqbal

Iqbal

The first major document signed under the current administration was the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro (FAB) in 2012.

This was followed by a series of signing of annexes, which culminated in the forging of the CAB.

The CAB served as basis for the drafting of the BBL that will establish a parliamentary regional government with more political and fiscal autonomy than the current Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM).

Aside from the legislative track, the CAB also outlines socio-economic and normalization provisions.

Deles said while there remains unfinished business that they need to pass on to the incoming administration, what they will turn over is a better positioned peace table that the Aquino government has worked hard to achieve in the past six years.

“What made the difference that we were able to achieve so much was PresidentAquino’s unwavering commitment to the process. It gained the trust of our partners in this peace table that got us through several stumbling blocks and challenges. And it is our hope that the same will continue on in the next administration,” she added.

“How relevant it is to have an incoming Chief Executive who we feel that not only understands the fight of the Bangsamoro but more important speaks for it,” said Iqbal in his opening statement on Sunday.

“We welcome the President-elect’s offer of a unifying hand in securing peace and development in Mindanao. After all, that is what we need for starters to move forward.”

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

9 Comments

  1. Approve Bangsamoro as the 1st Federal Ready State. The Basic Law is ready and all agreements with National like revenue sharing etc. Bangsamoro Federal State if we mix BBL & Federalism. Our original demand is Independence but as its was a negotiation, Moro scaled down.If nothing is passed the whole world is our witness as we assert again our Right to Self Determination, an act recognised by UN.

  2. Filipinos ought to be thankful that BBM as a Senator constructively objected to the passage of BBL as it is , because he found Bangsamoro Basic Law constitutionally infirm to represent the interest of all Filipinos, especially the poor and the less disadvantaged, except for the interest of the few, which Aquino has intended to do . Marcos did not trash BBL , he is for the peace process but MILF failed when Mamasapano massacre happened. etc. The 2016 national election was rigged and it’s a shame, Group of LP and armed men in Mindanao stop many Filipinos from casting their vote- their only precious right to chose who they wish to lead our country, thats the reason why Marcos got zero vote. Pres-shaded allots were fed into VCM for Roxas and Robredo instead.

  3. Wrong! He was cheated, plain and simple. Probably 98% of the people in Mindanao voted forDu30. As such, why would the people there voted for Robredo when the latter belongs to the incumbent Government no longer wanted by the voters? Even Nur Misuari, prior to the election, expressed his voting preference for DU30 and Marcos. When the interviewer asked why Marcos when the father was his extreme enemy in the 70s, he answered – the fault of the father cannot be transferred to a son. BBM’s version of the BBL is to encompass all sectors of Muslim Mindanao not just the MILF. And that was probably the reason why Misuari favored BBM because of the latter’ view for the good of Muslim Mindanao. And he got zeros?!!!

  4. Let us not forget Sabah or North Borneo that belongs to the Sultanate of Sulu, under the Republic of the Philippines. Peace process is good but let us not exchange our sovereignty for the peace that our brother Muslims as seeking, let us not stop reclaiming Sabah and the West Philippine Sea to help the Filipino People as a whole.

  5. CHange DUREZA! Why not push for federalism! We elected duterte for primarily for this issue. BBL. behind BBL is Malaysia’s own ulterior motive to erase Philippine’s of Sabah. GO CHANGE DURE ZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Bakit pirma ng pirma ng mga documents related to Phil Reublic na hindi pa effective ang pagiging presidente ni Digong? Itong si Dureza, hindi ba niya nabasa yong mga unconstitutional contents of BBL? Maraming Pinoy ang magagalit sa inyo. Hindi nga makapasa ito sa Congress at Senate at heto si Dureza parang nagkukumahog na ma approbahan ang BBL. God bless Republic of the Philippines.

  6. Juan T. Delacruz on

    This is the main reason why Sen. Marcos thinks he was shafted in ARMM region during May 9 election, and he is absolutely correct. He did not put enough efforts for the passage of the BBL, meaning he should have worked harder with the Lower House to change the language of the proposed BBL that were not compatible with the Constitution. BBM also realized that PNoy was pushing this initiative and he had the intense desire to pass this BBL, but BBM did not cooperate, and trashed it instead. This is the explanation why Sen. Marcos LOST the election in that region, and he should have gotten zero votes, which is still acceptable to the people of Mindanao.