Duterte orders release of P4.7-B benefits for veterans

1

President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration will release P4.7 billion worth of benefits to the widows of veterans of World War 2 as well as military retirees aged 80 and above.

The President made the announcement when he led the flag-raising and wreath-laying ceremonies at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City on Monday to commemorate National Heroes Day.

“For those who were unpaid by the previous administration, for release is P4.7 billion for the payment of the total administrative liability and arrears for the deceased and widows of World War 2 veterans and AFP retirees 80 years old and above. This was under the 2016 budget but was not released by [then President]Aquino,” Duterte said, drawing loud cheers from the crowd.

“There will be P3.5 billion for the widows and P1.2 billion for the AFP retirees. Is that okay? This will be released as soon as possible,” Duterte added.


The Joint Implementing Rules and Regulations for the release of the fund was signed by Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno and Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana.

The President also said that at least P270,000 in burial cash assistance for the remaining war veterans was sourced from the Presidential Social Fund.

Earlier, Duterte allocated P39.5 billon under the proposed P3.35-trillion 2017 budget for the salary hike of the police and all uniformed personnel.

Duterte, however, clarified that he is not after the loyalty of the security forces.

“I don’t crave for their loyalty…or intend to nurture their loyalty to me. This is not dictatorship. That’s why I’ve been telling Congress that if they can finish the [shift to]federalism in three years, I would gladly step down,” Duterte said, referring to the Congress-led Constituent Assembly expected to amend the 1987 Constitution by next year.

The President, however, issued a stern warning on police and soldiers who will aid criminals.

“I am telling you, do not go on the other side. Otherwise, you will be first in the [kill]list,” he said.

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. Victor Arches on

    It is SICKENING to learn that BS Aquino da T3rd had been sitting on and withholding this P4.7 Billion benefits of retirees and widows of World War II veterans, while he freely distributed P50 to 100 million EACH to congressmen and senators just to impeach Chief Justice Renato Corona, thanks to Abad’s PDAF and DAP scams. Talagang walang malasakit yang INGRATO sa kasundaluhan.

    Recall, too, da T3rd’s lack of empathy in his choice NOT to meet the coffins of the 44 SAF troopers—who gave their lives on his orders to capture Marwan and Usman for the US$6 million reward money put up by the FBI—at Nichols Air Base. Instead, da R3tard preferred to watch the car assembly line at the Toyota plant in Laguna. Even the detestable Binay displayed some manners by showing up to pay his last respects to the Fallen 44, for Christ’s sake!

    I am sure more nauseating revelations of PeNoy’s mis-administration and mis-governance will be divulged over the next six years.