THERE is anger over the use of Islamic attires on Saturday by two of the hosts of popular noontime television show aired over GMA-7.
Gov. Mujiv Hataman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) has demanded that Eat Bulaga issue a public apology over the issue.
“We remind the hosts and the producers of the show of how Muslims are quite often discriminated against in our society, often stereotyped as troublemakers and terrorists,” Hataman said in a statement sent to the media on Saturday.
“What Eat Bulaga did in its Halloween Special was a mockery of and an affront to the image of the Muslim, apparently in the name of entertainment,” he added.
Meanwhile, netizen Omar Isa scored the use of Muslim attire by two of the hosts of Eat Bulaga.
“Ginawang Halloween costume! Ano po sa tingin niyo samin mga Muslim, multo? At ano po ang alam niyo sa kasuotan na ganyan nakakatakot? [They made it Halloween costumes! What do you think of us Muslims, ghosts? And what do you think of that attire, scary?]” he said in his Facebook account that has gained over 10,000 likes so far.
During the Saturday edition of the popular noontime show, hosts Joey de Leon and former Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto 3rd wore Islamic attire.
Isa said his posts on the issue, which were reshared over 5,000 times to other 10,000 social media users, was also meant to end acts of “impunity” against the Muslims.
Shakeela Dirangaren Mamalacat of Cotabato City said Eat Bulaga’s hosts should have used costumes that would not offend others.
She said other hosts of the show, including Vic Sotto, were dressed up in the usual Halloween costumes.