Barely a week after erstwhile Bureau of Customs (BOC) Commissioner John Phillip Sevilla resigned from his post due to “pressure,” President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Tuesday bared that two more officials — Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla and Bureau of Corrections (Bucor) chief Franklin Bucayu— are leaving their respective agencies.
The President made the revelation during an interview with journalists prior to his flight back to Manila from Malaysia. There, Aquino said Petilla had intended to resign last year while in the case of Bucayu, a replacement has been chosen.
“I can promise you that Secretary Petilla will not leave the job na hindi siya sure that it’s in capable hands or everything is already in place that has to be attended to as secretary of energy,” he said.
He agreed that they [Cabinet officials], too, have a right “to advance their own personal plans.”
But Aquino said he has yet to choose who should replace Petilla.
On the other hand, Aquino said Bucayu had complained of receiving death threats and cited health reasons for planning to quit the top prisons post.
The President said Bucayu had confided to Justice Secretary Leila de Lima that the signal jammer installed inside the prison facility to avoid communication by inmates to the outside world was actually being used against Bucayu by erring personnel.
“Bucayu has suffered issues with his health. And he keeps getting death threats. So he has asked to be relieved. I have interviewed his possible replacement who was willing to accept the assignment,” said Aquino.
Sevilla last week was emotional when he announced his resignation. He cited politics and pressure from higher ups as among the reasons for his flight. Not long after, Alberto Lina was named as Sevilla’s replacement.