Environment watchdog urges Canada to take back 50 containers of toxic waste

1

An environmental watchdog has put forward a quick solution, albeit a partial one, to the much debated congestion in the ports of Manila.

“To partly help in decongesting the ports, the Canadian authorities, in the spirit of solidarity, should cause the immediate return of the 50 containers of toxic waste to their country, which have been lounging there for months,” said Aileen Lucero, coordinator, EcoWaste Coalition.

“It’s not only a matter of freeing up port space. Returning the toxic shipments to the sender will help bring the controversy to a close and see the triumph of environmental justice,” she said.

“We therefore reiterate our request to Ambassador Neil Reeder to take back Canada’s perilous garbage now,” she added.


Last April 2014, environmentalists asked the Canadian government through its Embassy in Makati City to take back the hazardous garbage originally declared as plastic scraps for recycling, which started arriving at the ports in June 2013.

Subsequent inspection by customs officers led to the discovery of the botched attempt to import mixed garbage by Chronic Plastics (the consignee) through Chronic Inc. (the shipper.)

Smuggling charges were filed in February 2014 against the Valenzuela City-based company and its proprietors for violations of the Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990, the Revised Penal Code and the Tariff and Customs Code.

Importing hazardous trash in the guise of recycling is not only totally devious and criminal, but a direct affront to our nation’s dignity, health and sovereignty, the EcoWaste Coalition said.

Last Wednesday, the Senate Committee on Trade, Commerce and Entrepreneurship conducted its first public hearing in aid of legislation to address the congestion at the Port of Manila (POM) and Manila International Container Port (MICP).

As per Resolution 808 filed by Senator Francis Escudero, “the congestion has caused local and international vessels the inability to dock and unload their cargoes at the POM and MICP, making major shipping lines to boycott the ports of Manila due to lack of available berthing spaces.”

“Concerned sectors submit that the congestion is due to, among others, the number of empty containers owned by shipping lines in the ports occupying 50 percent of the containers yards,” the senator said.

Last week, some truckers and customs brokers held protest actions in front of the Asian Terminals Inc. and various national and local government agencies to denounce the seeming inaction to solve the congestion in Manila’s ports. PNA

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. Arch. Angelito Lingan Mallonga on

    I taught this damping of garbage has been resolved and the Canadian Government
    has already sent it back to Canada. We are the dumping ground by other countries for a very long time now. Remember the Beta Max that did not made good here in North America when Japan introduced the VHS that runs more time. They
    brought the Beta Max to the Philippines and sold it here. Now it is a problem
    and Japan made money out of it and they do not have to recycle it in their own
    country and they save their environment while here we are destroying our
    own environment got it.

    Blame it to those officials at the customs in accepting most of those garbage sent
    to the Philippines. The only way to stop this kind of operation is to bring better
    x-ray equipment to take care on all the containers coming in.

    PCB is toxic and I am sure there are there already being put under the ground
    by some of those who are being paid to do it. I know cause I have discuss it with
    some of the locals in one of the province I have visited.

    Remember that we have 7,100 Island plus all surrounded by water. Once this drums
    leaks it will all go to our underground water and who knows what will happen when we drink it with our Medical System now, who will pay. Not the Government but the people of the Philippines. Just look on the mother of this child who was denied being admitted at Butuan Hospital a private hospital who did not accept the 10,000 pesos
    as deposit as it does not meet the required 30,000 pesos deposit as the bank is closed at that time. Much more for those who do not have that kind of money.

    Just too tired of reading this same news all over again and nothing is being done up to this time. ALL TALK TALK TALK !!!!! Now the Election is coming again next year.