Short of admitting his daytime truck ban is not helping business, Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Ejercito Estrada on Monday said effective today an 8-day moratorium takes effect to give way for clearing of containers at the two ports in Manila.
Cabinet Executive Secretary Rene Almendras and Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson had relayed to Estrada apparent congestion developing at the two Manila ports.
Some 12 foreign big ships could not discharge their container vans since last week because of continued work stoppage of truck drivers.
Truck drivers, brokers and other workers involved in the movement of container vans had urged Estrada not to impose Ordinance 8336, the Amended Traffic Code that limits operating hours of 8-wheelers and trucks with a gross vehicle weight of at least 4,5000 kilograms to 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The same ordinance was subsequently modified, allowing loaded container trucks to operate between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
“We will continue the modified 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daytime window until May 20,” Estrada said.
During the moratorium, no trucks will be allowed to park from A. Bonifacio to Del Pan Bridge or on any city road.