THE Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) said on Wednesday it has ordered the Bukidnon Sub-Transmission Corporation (BSTC) not to proceed with its disconnection and suspension of service to Bukidnon Second Electric Cooperative (BUSECO).
BSTC had earlier threatened to disconnect BUSECO because of the latter’s alleged failure to pay its delinquent accounts with the power provider. BUSECO sought the intervention of the ERC through a petition it filed on September 9.
“The ERC acted with dispatch on the petition of BUSECO for the issuance of a cease and desist order against BSTC to avert any negative socio-economic impact that will be caused by the suspension of BUSECO’s electric service”, ERC chairman and CEO Jose Vicente B. Salazar said Wednesday.
BSTC operates the 69-kilovolt (kV) sub-transmission system (STS) in the province of Bukidnon, serving First Bukidnon Electric Cooperative, Inc. (FIBECO) and BUSECO.
BSTC was set to effect the disconnection of service to BUSECO today, September 15, at 12:00 noon.
The disconnection would have deprived the whole franchise area of BUSECO of electricity service for the duration of the suspension of service of BSTC.
The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) was likewise set to schedule a service interruption today at midday to pave the way for the disconnection and suspension of service by BSTC to BUSECO.
“Considering that such disconnection will cause serious and irreparable damage to the consumers, the Commission directed the parties to observe the status quo prevailing before the issuance of the notice of disconnection and refrain from the intended disconnection of BUSECO’s facilities,” Salazar said.
“The Commission also directed BUSECO to pay at least ten percent (10%) of the latter’s outstanding balance pending the hearing and disposition of the case,” he added.