Former Technology Resource Center (TRC) Director General Dennis Cunanan is asking the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan’s First Division to let him travel to the United States from November 10 to 16.
Cunanan, who earlier lost his bid for immunity, is Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr.’s co-accused in four counts of graft in connection with the pork barrel scam.
In a 10-page pleading with annexes to support his request, the former TRC chief said he had been directed to report to the Junior Chamber International (JCI) headquarters in Chesterfield, Missouri.
“As Secretary General and concurrently Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Accounting Officer of JCI, he will oversee the preparation for the World Congress and perform his function as Chief Accounting Officer which cannot be delegated to any JCI staff,” the pleading read.
The defense also argued that he is not a flight risk.
“While he understands that there are now restrictions on his rights as a result of the filing of the cases against him, Accused most earnestly entreat the Honorable Court to also consider his right to travel and to have gainful employment to support his family while his case is under litigation,” his lawyers wrote.
If allowed to travel by the Sandiganbayan, Cunanan said, he will be staying in DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in St. Louis, Chesterfield.
He is also facing graft charges before the court’s Third and Fifth Divisions, which handle the cases against Senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, respectively.
Last July, all three divisions, ruling separately, denied Cunanan’s travel pleas.
As JCI secretary general, Cunanan had pleaded that the court let him travel to Japan from July 7 to 15, and to the US from July 20 to August 3 for the training of incoming officials and an executive committee meeting, among others.