The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday confirmed that a Filipina was abducted and gang-raped in Tripoli.
In a statement, Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said the Filipina, who was working as a nurse in the Libyan capital, was abducted on Wednesday morning by four Libyan youth and taken to an unidentified location where she was raped by at least six men.
She was released two hours later.
The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, which has only a few staff after its non-essential personnel were evacuated to Tunisia earlier this week, took the Filipina to a hospital.
“She is now under the care of the embassy,” Jose said.
The DFA said all 13,000 Filipinos in Libya will be repatriated as clashes between rival militias threaten to tear the country apart three years after Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled.
“We reiterate our call to our remaining nationals in Libya to immediately get in touch with the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli and register for repatriation,” it added.
The Philippines will charter ferries to speed up the evacuation of Filipinos there.
More than a week ago, a Filipino construction worker was also abducted in Libya. He was later beheaded and his remains were found in Benghazi.
Malacanang on Thursday condemned the killing and rape of the two Filipinos.
“We condemn these crimes that have been committed against our people,” President Benigno Aquino 3rd’s spokesman Herminio Coloma said.
Also on Thursday, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz sent two additional personnel to Libya to help monitor the repatriation of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) there.
Baldoz said she is sending to Libya and Tunisia Welfare Officer Ron Lionel Bartolome and Labor Attaché Naser Munder. They will augment the six ground personnel of the Labor department already in Libya.
“I have also issued a travel authority to Labor Attaché Ramon Tionloc to go to Malta to join the country’s Rapid Response Team. In Malta, Labor Attaché Tionloc will perform the task of cooperating and coordinating with the Philippine Mission on assistance to OFWs who will transit in Malta from Libya before they fly back to the Philippines,” she added.
Baldoz earlier ordered Milan, Italy-based Welfare Officer Cynthia Lamban to join Tionloc in Malta.
“With these officials on the ground, I am confident that our OFWs will be in safe hands and no harm will befall them,” she said.
Baldoz addedthat the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration chief, Hans Leo Cacdac, has been directed to review the implementation of the government’s Assist WELL [Welfare, Employment, Livelihood and Legal Needs] program and to further strengthen the assistance and services being offered to OFW repatriates from Libya.
With ROBERTZON F. RAMIREZ