President Benigno Aquino 3rd has agreed to continue with the deployment of Filipino peacekeepers in Golan Heights until August 11, a Palace official said on Friday.
In press briefing, Palace spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the Philippine assessment team has made its recommendations to the President during its meeting yesterday at Malacanang.
“The President has agreed to continue with the deployment of our 340 contingent until August 11, 2013, at which time the rotational process will be determined,” Lacierda said.
But he said the deployment is subject to meeting considerations to enhance safety of peacekeepers.
Last month, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario recommended to President Aquino the withdrawal of the Filipinos from the Golan Heights following two separate abductions of Filipino peacekeepers and the wounding of another in fighting between Syrian government and rebel forces.
CATHERINE S. VALENTE