THE Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday said it has no information that former Defense secretary Norberto Gonzales was involved in an alleged coup plot against the Aquino administration.
PNP spokesman and Chief Supt. Genereso Cerbo Jr., told reporters in a news briefing in Camp Crame that nevertheless the police will continue to monitor personalities who had been linked to the plot.
“We don’t have any information about the former defense chief… but the PNP, particularly the intelligence unit, will continue to monitor these personalities,” Cerbo said.
Gonzales was national security adviser and defense secretary during the administration then-president and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga.
News reports (not in The Manila Times) had it that Gonzales was wooing some officers of the PNP-Special Action Force (SAF) to join him in grabbing power from President Benigno Aquino 3rd.
Morale of the PNP-SAF went down after it lost some 44 of its men in a gunbattle with combined forces of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) on January 25 in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.
Cerbo, during the news briefing, echoed statements of the officer-in-charge of the PNP, Deputy Director Gen. Leonardo Espina, that members of the police force are highly professional and will not take part in any move to overthrow the government.
The coup rumors stemmed from a senator telling a Senate hearing that unnamed military figures financed by a wealthy individual were plotting to overthrow Aquino.